During my senior year of high school I had a big decision to make. I had to decide between continuing to dance, something I’d done faithfully for 14 years or not play lacrosse, a sport I loved playing. I’d been able to juggle the two from 7th-11th grade but as the schedule for both became more demanding and the interest in lacrosse slightly outweighed that of dance, I had to make the call. It wasn’t easy. A few months ago my cousin was faced with the same difficult decision. Her options were dance or track. She chose track. Having been in that position myself, I know that it isn’t easy to quit something, especially when it’s something you enjoy.
Life demands tough decisions. My cousin and I shot the video you see above as she dressed for her last recital and I edited it with something I wrote on the topic of quitting. It’s posted on the YouTube channel of my nonprofit but I wanted to share it here also, in case any of you are facing a situation that it’s time to quit. For some of us, it isn’t activities we have to decide between. Sometimes we have to quit behaviors and actions. Those require a lot more courage . . . but it’s worth it.
It’s Ok to Quit
- Quit arguing with people about the same old foolishness! Respect their position and keep it moving!
- Quit telling people your secrets when you know they are not going to keep them! And if you keep telling them, then quit getting mad when they tell your secrets!
- Quit trying to pull people on your journey who don’t want to travel with you. Either they believe in you and value you…or they don’t!
- Quit complaining about things you can’t and won’t change!
- Quit gossiping about other people! Minding our own business should be a full time job!
- Quit blaming each other for things that in the big picture aren’t going to matter three weeks from now! Talk solutions…and then implement them!
- Quit eating things you know are not good for you! If you can’t quit…eat smaller portions!
- Quit buying things when we know we can’t afford them! If you don’t have self control, then quit going to the stores! Quit charging, Quit charging, Quit charging, especially when you don’t NEED things!
- Quit staying in unhealthy relationships! It is not okay for people to verbally or physically abuse you! So quit lying to yourself! It is not okay to stay in the marriage just for the children! Ask them and they will tell you that they really would prefer to see you happy and that the misery you and your spouse/partner are living with is affecting them!
- Quit letting family members rope you into the drama! -Start telling them you don’t want to hear it! Quit spreading the drama!
- Quit trying to change people! IT DOESN’T WORK!
- Quit the job you hate! Start pursuing your passion. Find the job that fuels your passion BEFORE you quit!
- Quit volunteering for things that you aren’t getting any personal fulfillment from anymore! Quit volunteering for things and then failing to follow through with your commitment!
- Quit listening to the naysayers! Quit watching the depressing news if you are going to live in the doom and gloom of it all!
- Quit making excuses about why you are where you are or why you can’t do what you want to do!
- Quit waiting on others to give you the answers….and start finding the answers for yourself! If what you are doing isn’t working for you…then quit it!
- Quit settling and start making your dreams a reality! Quit being afraid and START LIVING YOUR LIFE! CREATE THE LIFE YOU WANT! If you want something different than what you have had in the past, you must quit doing what you have done before and DO something different! QUIT and START DOING something to create the experience you want! -Veraunda Jackson